Tuesday, September 1, 2009

chill out with watermelon salad

Like a lot of places in the country, we're still in the midst of the dog days of summer. And if the 108 degree temperature currently displayed on my Yahoo toolbar is any indication, it looks like we will be for some time to come.
So, when I came across a salad that looked to combine at least a few really refreshing ingredients, I couldn't wait to try it. This watermelon salad has been on my radar for a while. A friend of mine in Michigan, now recently transplanted to Florida, posted this recipe on her Facebook page one day. Then I started running in to variations of it all over Internet cooking sites and in cooking magazines I happened to thumb through. (The same thing happened with a recipe for Whoopie Pies, but that's another post).I'm sure a lot of people might be skeptical about the combination of foods in this salad, but what I found was that each flavor played beautifully off the others; the sweet with the salty with the tangy. It's refreshing and light. Perfect for the dog days of summer.

Watermelon Salad with Feta
Recipe Courtesy: Jenn Bacile, Tallahasee, FL, also found at Simply Recipes, July 9, 2008

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup lime juice (I used 4 rather large limes, but you may need up to 6 depending on size)
About 1/4 of a medium sized watermelon, seeded and chopped into 1-inch/bite size pieces (about 8 cups)
1/2 cup crumbled low fat feta
cheese
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped

Procedure:

Combine chopped red onion and lime juice and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Gently combine remaining ingredients in serving bowl. Add onion and lime juice, mix well and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.

*Cook's Notes: The salad is edible the next day, but will be soggy. It's well suited for a larger gathering. This would be a wonderful salad for a summer brunch. Also, I reduced the amount of parsley slightly as I find it can be an overwhelming flavor. If you'd like a more southwest version with cilantro and cumin, check out Elise's version over at Simply Recipes.

Bon Appetit from The Valley of the Sun.

5 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! what a GREAT!!! summer salad. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. RYC: We went to Flagstaff, can you believe it was 90 there?! Ugh, thankfully the next day it rained and I wore Jeans and a sweatshirt, in August! I was so excited. I'm such a dork.
    I grew up in Flag and ever since I moved to the Valley it's always been home, but this last time the minute I stepped out of the truck I asked myself what the heck I was doing living where it is so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried out a similar recipe earlier this summer (I'm sure I saw it on a blog ;) ) and it was tasty. Love that watermelon on a hot day! We're in Calif. and it's still hot here, too. My hubby planted a big garden this year, and we're enjoying some homegrown watermelon and cantaloupe. Hits the spot. Thanks for reminding me of this combination; I may have to do a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I hope you will join me at Dining With Debbie for Crock Pot Wednesday. Mister Linky is up and ready for you to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good....yummy.....
    your blog just makes me happy...
    Love your blog....
    Hope you will stop by and visit my new Christmas blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...